WHAT EVEN IS "THE GUT?"
DATE: Oct 21, 2021
LET'S BREAK IT DOWN!
The gut refers to the digestive system, which is made up of the digestive tract and other organs that help with digestion like:
- the mouth
- the esophagus
- the stomach
- the small intestine
- the large intensive (includes the colon and rectum)
- and yep you guessed it... the anus
“The gut” is more than just your stomach!
So... How does digestion work?
- Well the first part is obvious - you chew and swallow food
- Then the food goes down the esophagus
- Here's where we get more technical: the valve between the esophagus and stomach relaxes to allow the food to pass through into the stomach, then closes again
- In the stomach, food gets stored and mixed
- Food is digested in the small intestine + dissolved by the juices from the pancreases, liver, and intestine (yummy....)
- Digested nutrients (here's where FRISKA helps!) are absorbed through the intestinal walls
- Waste products (undigested parts of food, older cells shed from the intestines, etc.) get moved to the colon and get released through your poop 💩
Now that you know what "the gut" is, become its BFF! Find your FRISKA here ✌️